Comprehensive mechatronic expertise for innovative, smart products
Mechatronic expertise plays a pivotal role in modern-day vehicles, which are equipped with increasingly sophisticated technology. As systems supplier, Webasto has comprehensive expertise in the field of software, hardware, electronics and mechatronics. Vehicle manufacturers worldwide are benefitting from our internationally focused mechatronic competencies.
Modern cars can have installed more than 100 electronic control units, ECUs for short, to communicate with each other and control thousands of functions.
The same applies for our roof systems, convertible roofs, heating and battery systems – ECUs are the indispensable helpers operate in the background and provide for comfort and safety.
That is why having our own global electronics development and production is a crucial strategic component for the Webasto Group.
Tradition meets innovation
As a technology company with a long tradition and huge enthusiasm for innovations. It all started with purely mechanical accessories such as stamped parts, wire hangers and and mouse traps in the beginning of the 20th century. Since more than 120 years, we have been continuously developing our product portfolio further – today we are offering state-of-the art roof systems, convertible roofs and solutions for electromobility, such as battery systems. We think far beyond the next generation of vehicles and set technological standards, even for the megatrends of the future.
Webasto continues to evolve
The automotive industry is changing. Issues such as drivetrain electrification, autonomous driving and digitalization in production mean that manufacturers and suppliers are facing major challenges, but simultaneously this offers huge opportunities.
As a technology company with huge enthusiasm for smart and innovative products, Webasto tackled these challenges to evolve into a truly mechatronic company. More than ever, having mechatronic knowhow means having the advantage of strategic knowhow.
Therefore, Webasto manufactures part of the required electronic control units (ECUs) inhouse in Schaidt (Germany) and thus has valuable knowledge on ECU design and production. The ECUs developed by Webasto control the operation of sunroofs, convertible roofs, heating systems and battery management systems.
They enable safety and comfort features such as:
- Ambient lighting in panorama roofs
- Speed controls for sunroof drives to achieve consistently even-motion sound
- Intelligent adaptation of the combustion process to the environmental conditions of the heater, the so-called altitude adjustment
- Safety features such as anti-trap protection in openable roof systems
- Central Data-Matrix-Light (enables projections of pictures and videos via headlights)
- Control of battery management systems (state of charge, state of health, safety functions)
- Controls charging of battery cells in solar roofs
We are a mechatronic company
Webasto opened a broad field of innovation and can serve current and future customer needs as well as regulatory demands. Today, software development is a natural part of our product development, the mechatronic mindset has become part of Webasto: We have developed great in-house expertise in the fields of software, hardware and mechatronics and built-up the required knowledge and skills among our employees. The Webasto mechatronic competences:
How customers benefit from the mechatronic competences
Webasto turns ideas into series production through the development and manufacture of complex electronic systems. Customers benefit from a high level of development know-how in mechatronics and electronics as well as from vast experience in the optimization of worldwide production processes and supply chains. In more than ten locations worldwide, Webasto employees use their expertise to develop and test control units for Webasto and customer products. They are supported by colleagues from the ECU production who bring expertise in design-for-assembly and ensure prototype and series production of control units. Together they guarantee the exceptional quality and expertise that says "made by Webasto".
We provide solutions for every customer wish and guarantee cost-efficient and reliable electronic modules:
- Implementation of new trends in technology
- Close interaction of Webasto development team and customer
- Development of platforms and easy adaptation to customer demands
- Control of the bill-of-material through component purchasing for inhouse and external ECU production
- Professional component lifecycle and supply chain management
- Inhouse EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) test labs ensure early detection of electromagnetic emissions and susceptibilities
- Inhouse cybersecurity testing
- Highly automated testing with MiL, SiL and HiL (Model, Software, Hardware in the Loop)
- Functional and environmental testing